Friday, November 21, 2008

The mistakes of parenthood can haunt you!

Why is it that parents can do everything for a child, and the child just can't seem to appreciate all that we do. This isn't just about my child (children/one child in particular) but other peoples children too. I guess we as parents are to blame because we want to give our children a good life, we want them to be happy and enjoy things we never could when we were children. When I was little we never went out to eat except for a rare occasion my parents might take us out, probably because they didn't have a babysitter and they were desperate to get out of the house on the weekend. We didn't even have meat every night. We never asked what was for dinner, we were just glad my Mom was home to make dinner. We ate whatever she set in front of us and we liked it, or we were sent to our rooms for complaining about it. We didn't get a car in high school, we didn't get picked up or driven to school. We rode the bus or walked. We always walked home if we had to stay after school. On a rare occasion my Mom would get us Taco Bell or Mc Donalds, we took whatever we could get she didn't ask what we wanted. We ate it and savored every bite of that high fat high calorie food that we would later find out was terribly unhealthy. Our parents actually did us a favor by never taking us there. How ironic it is really that we felt punished that we didn't get fast food. My Mom never made us breakfast before school, we were responsible to make our own cereal, or toast. (I mean really a bagel? that was something we knew nothing of, toaster streudal, what is that???) we did eventually get Pop tarts! again not a healthy food.





I guess what I am trying to say is if I had to do my childhood over again.....I wouldn't change a thing! If I had to do my childrens childhood over......I would raise them like my parents raised me. No means No and I am the one who works and this is my house you are just living here!!!


Chores is the only way you get money and extras are only bought for you on holidays!!!


Children today are spoiled!!!!! Family doesn't mean the same thing to them as it did to us.


We raked leaves, mowed grass, helped clean the house, cook when Mom had meetings and I babysat my Brothers many many saturday nights when I was in middle school or high school and Friday nights I worked at Mc Donalds. I know Ironic. I use to use my own money and buy my 2 brothers a cheeseburger or happy meal. I walked to and from work when my parents couldn't take me. Yeah I didn't have a car until I was 18, and I bought it all by myself. It was 10 yrs old and huge a Buick Lesabre. But it was a smooth riding car. It got me where I wanted to go.


"no one knows how a parent feels, until they are a parent". That was a quote I found the other day when I was looking up quotes, for my youngest yearbook PDA. I didn't use that one but I like it!

I guess we all make mistakes, that is why you should listen to your parents, they have been there and know the mistakes they made in raising you, and the joys that they also had when they actually did something right!

No comments: