Sunday, September 14, 2008

Life as a Waitress!

I have been a waitress off and on since I was 18 yrs old. I wasn't always overweight in fact when I first started I was only size 5 or 7. I started waiting tables at Minsky's pizza then Hunan's Chinese restaurant. I loved waiting tables, I thought you are basically doing just what you do at home only getting paid for it! But being around food all of the time can be bad for you if you are an emotional eater. Which is what my main weight gain problem was? I would eat to feed my emotions. It is sort of embarrassing in some ways and a lot of people don't understand that food can be an addiction. Like cigarettes, alcohol or other things like drugs. You eat to fill a void in your life and you think that the food makes you feel better. I have heard others say that "when no one was there for them food was their only friend". I remember watching Oprah and a lady said that. I thought "wow how pathetic", and then I realized later that I was using food to medicate my emotions also. Dr. Oz was on Oprah talking about how weight gain can affect your life and your relationships with you spouse or family and friends. I started thinking about how my life was before and how it was now.

I didn't want it to be like that. I wanted a better relationship with my Husband and I wanted to be around to someday see my other two children get married and have kids of their own. I wanted to be a Grandma someday. I started thinking that it would be sad if I died of a heart attack or some other weight related death and my children had to explain to their kids why they didn't have a Grandma.

No comments: